Going Indie  

Posted by Demon Hunter in , , , , , , , ,

Editorial Ass is going to stop blogging. That's sad considering, I just found that blog a few weeks ago...but honey the changes it's made in me!

To be honest this post from that blog was one of the things that made me decide to go indie. I had been thinking about it, mulling it over in my head for a while...then I read that post about the "midlist", "personnel turnover at publishing houses", and "the bureaucracy of publishing". Bureaucracy is the kind of word you use to describe "unspeakable horrors" in a disinfected, corporate kind of way. I still get the jist of it though, the aura of that word is black. And as an author, I am not sure I can deal with all of that.


Talk about a broken heart thought. It's been my dream since a child to be a writer. But they sure don't tell you all about the "Mid-list", "personnel turnover" and "bureaucracy" in all of those interviews with Rowling, Meyer and King, do they? Nor do they ever really mention these things in all those "How To Be a Published Writer" books I've read.  


No, no, no, no, they let these little details about the publishing industry out of the Disney stories they feed us over the big, glowing, hyp-no-box. And there's really nothing much I can do about it. Kinda made me feel like I wasted my entire life.


Dreams shattered. Now what? Suck it up? Buck up? Yeah,  I guess. Destroy what's left of that "image" in my head of what a successful writer is, because it's a lie anyway and it's only going to cause pain now. Rebuild a new.  Restructure in my head. Fixating on new destinations.  Indie publishing, here I come!


I've been speaking to another author, Deana Zhollis and she reminded me that I haven't actually talked about my book yet. I don't know why I have this "thing" in my head that everything has to be perfect before I start advertising. Like, I don't feel I should start advertising my book until I have the PDF and everything ready for Createspace. Meanwhile, here's the real world and honestly, holding back isn't something that's good for publicity, is it? So, I placed my book cover and a short descrip down below. 


Also,  I'm trying to raise money to get the book published so I''m offering my design services. I can do book covers and websites; I'm working pretty cheap to build my portfolio, but I do great work :).  I have gone to design school and I can work my way around Photoshop and Dreamweaver. 




Here's my cover... tell me what Industry artist can do a better job then this?  :P



The cover looks dark when I view it on my netbook, so I still gotta tweak it. I created it on my larger HP laptop and I may still change the title of my book. I'm sure the first thing people think about when they hear the title is "Harry Potter", which makes sense since the book parodies YA fantasy and American culture.  But the story is actually about a teen boy who goes to a sorcery school in NY to learn how to resurrect his dead girlfriend. It's also edgier then most of the popular YA fantasies (contains lots of swearing, violence and drug references) which I know limits my audience a little, but hell, how can i write a book about a school in New York--even a sorcery school--where the students aren't dropping f-bombs like they've had military training in doing so? It's not pleasant but it's real.  Fantastically real :)


If you or anyone you know needs a book cover or website designed, send them this way. I'll make a unique book cover for anywhere from $200-$300. And a webpages starting at about $200. I'm creating an official,  "business-y" type website/portfolio for myself as we speak, so I'll post that up here. Just wanted to put a little advertisement for myself up here as well.


send me an e-mail, and well help each other out. 

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at Wednesday, September 29, 2010 and is filed under , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment