Getting Distracted  

Posted by Demon Hunter in , , , , ,

So, I was going to make a nice long post about getting distracted...but I haven't for a while because I figured "this writing in my blog thing is a distraction", so I've been delaying it and engaging in other distracting activities instead.

I learned something last night though, when I spent a few hours ours playing "City of Wonder" on facebook, feeling guilty the whole time because I should have been editing my book. There's a difference between "getting distracted" and needing a break. I felt great after I finished playing the game and was excited about getting back to work. Today, while I was at dialysis (I have severe kidney problems), I was watching a movie while adding some new parts to my book. It felt weird because that's the kind of writing I use to do when I was a teenager and in college. Serious writers do not sit in front of their television sets with their very serious novels trying to add in some extra chapters. I was totally distracted, but somehow, I produced some good writing. Yeah, come to think of it, my writing WAS a lot better back when I wasn't stressing over it.

I think maybe I've been --too--focused on this project. Being ambitious and going hard for your dreams is good, but there's some days when it seems every waking moment is focused on my story, and that's really too much.

I knew this starting your own business thing was going to be a journey with a lot of lessons learned. Glad this one was a nice, sweet, lesson that didn't cost me anything in my bottom line. It's alright to chill a little and have some fun. If nothing else, a relaxed mind makes my writing a better.

My hubby's asleep early so I'm going to go play with some more face book apps and then get back to work for a few hours :)

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 7, 2010 at Thursday, October 07, 2010 and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment